A #Hungerfree World is Possible
We have a dream that one day, we’ll live in a hunger-free world.
A world where children don’t have to worry about food, but can instead focus on learning and growth.
A world where there are no hunger statistics because there is no hunger.
A world where sharing a meal becomes an act of joy because food is secure.
Between now and World Food Day (Friday, October 16) – you’re invited to join others all over the world and double-up for a hunger-free world.
What does that mean, you ask?
First, celebrate food and everything it represents.
Between now and World Food Day, find moments to share good food with good people. Gather around the table together to eat and be merry.
Your celebration could take any form you like. Maybe it’s a dinner at your favourite restaurant or sharing pizza with your family while watching the sunset. Maybe it’s gathering a few close friends together for brunch or hosting a themed dinner party in your home.
Then, help others by ‘doubling up’ and donating the cost of your meal to launch HungerFree so that others can celebrate food too.
Match the amount of money you and your friends spent on the meal and donate it to the HungerFree movement. For example, if you bought $30 of pizza to share, give $30 to HungerFree! Check out the video to learn more about how HungerFree will fight hunger and how you can join.
After your meal, keep the party going by sharing moments from your meal online. Post the recipe, share a photo of the appetizer, take a selfie with your entire dinner party. Just make sure to use #hungerfree.
In the coming weeks, we’ll give you plenty of resources to make doubling up as fun as can be. Keep an eye out for tips on hosting, challenges, stories, and more.
This is one food party you don’t want to miss out on. Join HungerFree, and let’s make our dream of a hunger-free world a reality.
30 Hour Famine Fundraising Superstar
Become a 30 Hour Famine Fundraising Superstar
If you’ve decided to participate on the 30 Hour Famine, you’ve just joined the fight against one of the greatest challenges of our generation.
Hunger and malnutrition still plague our planet. In fact, each day 18,000 children die from preventable causes. This needs to stop. Your fundraising efforts in the 30 Hour Famine are a critical part of changing the tide on this.
We’ve compiled a list of the very best tips for maximizing your fundraising efforts. With a commitment to follow through and a bit of creativity, your leveled up fundraising skills can literally change lives.
- Make sure you’ve registered online at http://famine.ca – Many supporters have found they can raise more than twice as much online over offline.
– The 30 Hour Famine is always a better experience with others, so many sure you’ve registered online under the right team, or if you don’t have one, create a team and invite your friends.
- Commit to an audacious but achievable fundraising goal – If you’ve done the famine in the past, you’re a pro, aim for higher impact this year.
– Try to think through the number of people who will need to donate in order for you to reach your goal. For example, raising $500 is not as hard as it may seem. When you break it down it can be as simple as asking 25 people to donate $20 each. Here’s the impact some smaller fundraising amounts actually make. Share this with your supporters!
On top of that, this year with our partnership with the World Food Programme your funds will multiple 3x in value. Imagine the impact you can have together!
- Customize your fundraising page – Share briefly what you’re giving up and why this matters to you.
– Upload a powerful video or images such as a shot of you when you visited a developing country, or an impact video with statistics you came across, or even a silly image of what you’ll be giving up for 30 hours.
– Create your own 15-second video and join our #WhyImFasting challenge.
- Create fundraising momentum – It starts with you – don’t share a page with $0 raised, put some skin in the game and donate to your famine fundraiser first, or ask a family member to be the first to pitch in.
– Email or text the link to your closest 10-15 people. These should be people who will be highly likely to chip in because of your connection to them. Tell them why their support matters to you, and that their donations will begin a fundraising trend.
– Direct message your next 10 – 50 people. Wait a day or two, and bring your next inner circle of people on board. You may want to enlist family members or mentors to also help share your link and fundraise for you at this stage.
– Social Media. As you’ve got some momentum get the word out on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, make sure to include your direct fundraising link. Don’t be afraid to directly tag people and ask for support. People can’t do anything about what they don’t know about.
- Share updates and add fuel to your efforts – Share with people your total amount raised regularly and how much more you need to reach your goal.
– Give people who’ve donated shout outs on social media. For those who aren’t on social media be sure to still find a way to thank them.
– Purchase or create your own famine t-shirt, change your social media profile image, let people everywhere know that this is serious to you.
– Don’t be afraid to get creative with rewards to drive larger donations – it could be anything from extra chores, to sharing a special talent that you have, to head shavings!
– Share any images or videos you find as you’re learning about hunger with your supporters while sharing your fundraising link – be a persistent voice of why ending hunger matters.
- Engage people on the day of your Famine – Let people know this is your big day.
– Ask people to sponsor each of your 30 Hours. Give them a mention on social media as you dedicate each hour to them.
– Do a final push for donations from those who may have forgotten and didn’t think you were going to follow through
– Share a video or an image of yourself when you complete your 30th hour – you did it!
- Wrap up – Collect any cash donations that may have also been committed. *Document it in your fundraising page by going to Fundraising –> Enter Cash / Pay Online section of your page so that people can receive tax reciepts. You may need an adult with a credit card in order to process it online.
– Mail in any cheques that are written out to World Vision Canada. You can find our address here: http://yourmovement.ca/act/30-hour-famine/faq/
– Thank your supporters for their tremendous help in changing the lives of children around the world.
If you manage to commit to these 7 steps, you are now officially a #FamineSuperstar!
Why I’m Fasting
*Update: #WhyImFasting just got better! Head on over to yconic and submit your 30 Hour Famine #WhyImFasting video for a chance to win up to $1000 to fund a project that you are passionate about. Is it hunger and food related issues? Child slavery? Education for girls? No matter what it is, Yconic wants to help. Submit your video and have your friends vote for yours today. Make sure you hashtag #WhyImFasting and #yFundUs.
We all have that one things that makes us itch; something that sets us on edge and makes us question why things happen the way they do.
At World Vision Youth Canada, we reject the fact that things are how they are because that’s “how they’ve always been done.” We won’t stand for taking everything at face value because we are a movement committed to making our lives count. We all have our reasons to rise up and instigate change: this is ours.
Why am I fasting? Find out.
How do you get involved?
Use your voice and share your story. Why are you doing the 30 Hour Famine?
– Take your phone and record a 15 second video answering the question “Why am I fasting?”.
– Then upload it to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and hashtag #WhyImFasting.
– You can tag us on Facebook, Twitter – @30HRFamine and Instagram – @wvyouthcanada
Don’t forget to hashtag #WhyImFasting
Looking for different things to give up other than food? Check out all the other ways to experience the famine!
Experience the Famine Your Way
If you haven’t signed up for the 30 Hour Famine yet, go now!
Join the famine!
Before anything else…
All humans have basic needs. However not all of humanity has their basic needs met.
I live in a country which provides me freely with anything I could possibly need, not to mention anything I want. I am so thankful, yet I feel so undeserving. I can’t seem to understand why I was born to such luxuries when a woman who is my equal over land and seas lays hungry, motionless, last breaths filling her lungs as she slowly inhales and exhales. Hunger.
To me, that is not right.
Someone once told me: “When we admit our passions, we are free.” I believe this to be true because it’s from this point we can move and lead from a place of passion.
I’ve been dreaming about what the world would look like if we began to become a people who desire change within justice so deeply that we became that change.
By simply listening to the heart, we can understand that we have been created with a purpose. Our lives are too short to simply live to survive so follow the silly ideas and shift nations.
Today I had the pleasure of listening to Ruth Roberts share her heart. She is the founder of the 30 Hour Famine. She is a woman who believes in change so deeply, she was moved to be the change she wanted to see. She and some friends saw a television clip of a famine in Ethiopia, at first she thought it was a silly idea to host a famine in order to experience what her equals were experiencing around the world but regardless of how an idea sounds, it’s always worth sharing.
That year, she raised $25.00 to help end world hunger. It made a difference.
Today the 30 Hour Famine raises an unbelievable amount of money annually to see the end of world hunger. It makes a difference.
It all started with a ‘silly idea’.
You my friend are not living for the sake of living, you’re living because there’s a passion inside of you that you can change the world with. Be the change you want to see in the world, admit your passions, and challenge the status quo with your brilliance!
Please join me in standing for the end of world hunger, sign up to make a difference. Find more information here: famine.ca